Sunday, March 14, 2010

Castellano, Economics and I think I forgot something

Like it says in the title, I've decided to(finally) get serious about learning Spanish (aka; Catellano) over this semester. THere are a couple of reasons- VERY good ones, why I want to.
1. Suddenly conversations on my father's side of the family will make sense and not be as 'secret' as previously
2. It opens up a lot of options in terms of doing International Studies later and counts towards the Global Leadership thing amt Macquarie Uni.
3. It'll get me a free trip to Madrid, courtesy of my Abuelita as long as I pick up conversational Spanish by this time next year.

I'm also delving into Environmental Economics. Since economic factors and the Environment always seem to go in separate directions, being able to reconcile these two disciplines would probably look good on my list of qualifications.

University work is about to REALLY heat up. I guess the next two weeks are going to be the most important and from there on, we'll see.

And on another note; I'm going to think about finally establishing a social life between now and July. With AMUNC coming up again (in Sydney this time too!) it might just help keep me at least half-sane for the rest of the year.

3 comments:

  1. Ah. Amunc. Yeah. No idea what this UN thing is about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. EspaƱol = Spanish in general

    Castellano is the Spanish language spoken by the Castellan 'kingdom' which became the domminant language after they beat up all the other ones back in the Renaissance and such.

    So, while Latin American cariants of Spanish are still 'Spanish', Castellano is only really spoken by the 'peninsulares'. And to make it even more complicated, there's also Basque and Catalan (both mutually near-incomprehesible, especailly since Basque is NOTHING like Spanish...).

    It's bloody complicated, but I think it's worth it. Definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I saw what you did there..

    ReplyDelete